Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ann Liddle's Silk Vest


Another piece the judges of Wondrous, Lustrous Silk chose to highlight was described as "Ann Liddle's subtly luscious hand-dyed silk vest."  I asked Ann to tell us about her vest, her other work designing garments, and some of the other fiber media she uses.

Ann said "I was delighted to get a juror's choice award this show for my vest. It's hand-dyed silk dupioni with machine-stitched china silk. I added the machine stitching to the orange china silk to help it blend more with the reds in the hand-dyed silk. I also created the pattern by draping it on a dress form. I often make patterns but usually use the flat paper pattern method. This time I cut up a few pieces of cotton knit and worked it out on the dress form – then made a paper pattern. My next task will be to add sleeves – maybe I'll try draping that too.

"I've been sewing since I got out of college and bought my own machine. My mother had taught me some but I didn't take to is until I was on my own. Then I never stopped! I sewed many of my work and casual clothes – suits, pant suits (once they were allowed!!), dresses, jackets, evening dresses, even coats. About 15 years ago, I decided to stop using commercial patterns and make my own. I'm self-taught – thanks to books and Vogue patterns. But since I don't usually make fitted clothing, the pattern process is not too complicated. Using Vogue patterns for years gave me a very good grounding on how to put things together and how to make all those annoying parts you need to make a garment – facings, cuffs, plackets, collars, etc. Really, Vogue patterns were an excellent education.

"In addition to clothing, I also make sculptures and do other types of fiber art. I especially enjoy working in three dimensions. Maybe that comes from my interest in clothes. I use many different media and techniques for sculpture, including papier mache, crochet, and knitting. 
Shapes and Shadows
hand stitched on painted canvas, wood, wire
  
Vase with Red Stripe
papier mache, painted

"It is fun to take a technique, such as crochet, that is not usually used for sculpture and make it work. 
The Conversation
crocheted wool, stiffened, painted, wood base

"In fact, that is my main pleasure in all the clothing or other art that I do – getting an idea and making it work. I love to figure things out."

I hope you've enjoyed this brief tour of Ann Liddle's art.  Next time, we'll discuss Eileen Doughty's design process for her jurors' recognition earrings.

No comments: